Highland Life logo
A great place to live, work and play

Work & Money

Work / Money Matters / Useful links


Finding work

Work permits and registration

Your rights at work

National Minimum Wage

Finding work

You can find out about job opportunities in the area:

  • private employment agencies
  • advertisements in the local newspapers
  • Jobcentre Plus your local office, search for jobs online, or use the Jobseeker Direct telephone line 0845 60 60 234. This is a government agency which provides a free service.
  • Skills Development Scotland can give you information and advice about the skills, qualification and training you need. It is a free service.

Work permits and registration

If you are from:

Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden or Switzerland, you do not need permission to work in the United Kingdom.

If you are from Bulgaria or Romania, you do not have automatic right (until end of 2024) to work in the UK. More information on http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucitizens/bulgaria-romania/

The accession workers’ helpline number is 0114 207 6022

If you are not from the EEA, the www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk and www.talentscotland.com websites give information about this.

There are special rules for Asylum Seekers, the Scottish Refugee Council can provide advice, information and assistance.

More information on moving to, living and working in Scotland can be found at www.talentscotland.com

Your rights at work

Workers in the UK are protected by a system of laws on working hours, health and safety, protection against discrimination and the right to a National Minimum Wage.

The Trades Union Congress (TUC), the organisation that represents Britain’s trade unions, has a leaflet for people coming to work in the UK. The leaflet gives information on your rights, and where to go for help and advice. The leaflet can be downloaded in the following languages:

  • Czech
  • English
  • Estonian
  • Hungarian
  • Latvian
  • Lithuanian
  • Polish
  • Russian
  • Slovak
  • French
  • Spanish

On the online advice pages of the Citizens Advice Bureau you will also find a leaflet specifically on migrant workers and their rights.

Other useful information about rights at work can be found at Direct.gov website, which explains what to do in many situations such as if you are pregnant, if there is a problem at work or when you start a new job.

You can also get advice from a Citizen’s Advice Bureau.

Agency workers are a special group of workers that have slightly different rights and entitlements than other permanent workers. TUC leaflet “Agency workers have rights too!” will give you basic information about the rights you have if you work for an agency.

Money Matters

National Minimum Wage

This is the legal minimum amount of money you can be paid for work. These rates change on 1st October every year. There are different rates for 16 & 17 year olds, apprentices and the over 21’s. You can check https://www.gov.uk/browse/working/tax-minimum-wage for current rates.

Your employer can make deductions from your wages. More information on the Rules for making deductions from your Pay.

Tax & National Insurance

Every worker in the UK needs a National Insurance Number to work legally. This number keeps a track of Your National Insurance contributions, which are a kind of tax. You apply for a National Insurance Number by telephoning 0845 6000 643. Someone will ask for your details and tell you what you need to do next.

You will also have to pay Income Tax. The amount of tax you pay depends on a number of factors. Every worker has a tax Code, which an employer uses to work out how much tax they should pay on your behalf. If you are starting your first job in the UK you will probably have to pay “emergency tax” (at a higher rate) until you have been given a tax code.

Some employers may offer you a job without paying tax or National Insurance (known as ”cash in hand”). This is against the law. If they are breaking this law, they may well break other employment laws, such as those which protect your safety at work. It will be very hard to enforce any of your legal rights if you are working illegally.

Bank accounts

It is important to open an account with a bank or building society. Most employers will pay your wages directly into your account. There are different types of accounts available. You can also bank at Post Offices.

To open an account you need:

  • provide proof of identity (passport, national identity card or national driving licence)
  • proof of UK address (tenancy agreement or letter from your employer)

Opening a bank account if you are new to the UK

International students – Opening a UK bank account

Highland Council Money Advice Team

If you are worried about your financial situation, contact the Highland Council Money Advice Team for free and confidential advice, call 0800 090 1004

You can also contact them by email: money.advice@highland.gov.uk

Useful URLs

Jobcentre Plus https://www.gov.uk/contact-jobcentre-plus

Skills Development Scotland http://www.skillsdevelopmentscotland.co.uk

Scottish Refugee Council http://www.scottishrefugeecouncil.org.uk/

Talent Scotland http://www.talentscotland.com

Trades Union Congress http://www.tuc.org.uk/

The Advice Guide http://www.adviceguide.org.uk

Highlands and Islands Equality Forum www.hief.org.uk

Centre for Economic and Social Inclusion http://www.cesi.org.uk

Post Office http://www.postoffice.co.uk

British Bankers Association http://www.bba.org.uk/bba/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=138&a=3970

Highland Council http://www.highland.gov.uk

© 2024 Highland Wellbeing Alliance.
Project part-financed by the European Union (European Regional Development Fund) within the INTERREG IIIB Northern Periphery Programme.